Saturday, November 14, 2009

Salted Chicken "Yim KuK Kai" #1


The children wanted to eat out at Lucky Restaurant, Old Penampang Road. They liked the crabs served in that particular shop , a viariety of flavours. Hubbi suggested that we have the "Yim Kuk Kai" dish [ Chicken Baked in Salt ] instead, for dinner tonight. It'd been a long time since I last cooked this dish. This is one of my Chey family favourite dishes, whenever I cooked YKK, the aroma reminds me of my late mum [ GOD blessed her soul ]. My mum used to cook this dish very so often for us. Those wonderful time we spent with her, so much laughter so much fun. (suggestion, you eat with your fingers) She was such a good cook, so much so that she could cooked up a dish without referring to a single recipe. I dearly missed her and her cooking of course.

Ingredients

2 kg chicken (whole/quarters chicken)
6 kg coarse salt
2 tbs of wine or cooking wine
pinch of salt
rice paper for warping

Method
1. Seasoning chicken with wine and pinch of salt. Set aside.
2. Heat salt in wok, keep frying for 15 minutes. Take half of heated salt out from wok.
3. Warp chicken with rice paper and place on top of the salt still in the wok. Fill up the wok with reminding heated salt.
4. Cover and cook for 35 - 45 minutes.
5. Serve hot or cold with white rice.

3 comments:

  1. finally! My favorite dish from you toO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, I will cook this dish for you when you'er back in KK. See you soon.(YKK my favorite too, so yummy and the aroma can never make you forget this dish!! FYI, now my 3 angels super like this dish!)

    ReplyDelete